Hi! My name is Catherine but my friends call me Cat, the chick behind EdutechChick.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I am a passionate girl momma, educator, wife to Ben (my super geek partner in crime), time traveler, technology nerd, history lover, coffee guzzler, and lifelong learner.
By day, I work for Amplified IT, a K-12 Google Educational Consultancy, on the Customer Success Team as an Onboarding Consultant. This site is compiled of my interests, love of learning and technology, and solely my opinion.
Prior to becoming an Onboarding Consultant at Amplified IT in Norfolk, VA, I was middle school TIS , I ran the Virtual Instruction Program, I taught online high school students for 6 years and face to face as a World History and US Government teacher for about 10 years. Beyond teaching, I’ve done extensive curriculum work, created full courses, developed content for WHRO, implemented large scale education programs in my division, created training for school administrators on laws, policies, and procedures related to the edtech field.
Additionally, I enjoy working with edtech start ups. Currently, I am a educational consultant with an amazing web-based literacy tool called, WriteReader. I have a particular fondness towards international companies looking to expand to the US. Some of my favorite tech tools weren’t originally hatched in America. I love being able to help them understand the educational landscape at all levels. I specialize in content writing, step-by-step instructions and manuals, technical writing, reviewing web and mobile applications, and editing.
I recently completed my E.D.s from Old Dominion University in K-12 Ed Leadership. If you want to know more about my education experience check out my Linkedin profile. Connect, drop me a line if you think I can help you in any way.
Disclaimer: you may use anything on this site as long as it’s in accordance with Fair Use Policy Act, Creative Commons, and you link back to the original article and my blog.
Affiliate Links: EdutechChick is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. EdutechChick also uses Google AdSense.
5 Things you should know about me:
1. I’m an educator at heart. I miss the classroom terribly! Any chance I get to interact with teachers and students in the school I service, I take it. Sometimes I invite myself. Mostly, I conduct professional development and support teachers with blended learning. As much as I love education, I recognize the need for serious reform.
2. Traveling is my motivation for a side hustle. My goal is to use my edtech blog to support my travel habit. After 6 months without traveling, I start to get wanderlust. I’ve been to Mexico, England, Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, France and the Netherlands. You can follow along with my travel adventures on Twitter using hashtag #etctravels
3. One of the reasons I started this blog was to have a digital footprint. What do I mean? I want a log of growth, a way to keep myself in check, and hopefully help others along the way. I’m a lifelong learner and I am constantly seeking ways to hone my craft. I enjoy interacting with like minded individuals but also those who disagree with me. Long live a touch of controversy! Just enough to be interesting, and never in a mean spirit. Just good old friendly debate. I’ve learned growth comes from stretching oneself in different ways.
4. Educational technology is my jam. I love it all- apps, sites, creating, smashing, evaluating, utilizing, and the list goes on. As a history teacher, I embraced technology and integrated into my daily classroom as much as possible. I knew that history wouldn’t be useful necessarily to the students later in life so I also tried to teach them skills about digital literacy. I was also known to help digital immigrants come to love technology and use it effectively. I own both pc and apple devices. I have no loyalties there. I just like well made, intuitive products.
5. I’m a girl momma…..even my dog is a girl. I am determined to make sure that I stay more tech savvy than them. Join me as I document our techie (and non-techie) fun.
Thanks for reading! Say hi!